Monday, September 29, 2014

Banana Coconut Bread

I'm a bit of a banana bread snob.  I seldom will even try other peoples banana bread - not sure why, but I think it's a texture thing.  I do make banana coconut bread fairly often (mostly because Rebekah likes and requests it...and sometimes provides the bananas), so when I got home from the hospital yesterday with 3 overripe bananas, I decided to give gluten-free banana bread a whirl.

Again, it's a recipe of Danielle Walkers (from her cookbook - Against All Grain)...and again, I had to cook it for at least 15 minutes longer than she suggested...but the finished product was, again, dependably good.

I made it pretty much per the recipe, then at the end I threw in a couple of large handfuls of shredded coconut.
The flavor was spot on.

Spot.

On.

This was one occasion that using coconut milk actually paid off. One word of warning - if you're going to make this, make sure you have your eggs at room temperature (otherwise the coconut oil will just solidify).

The texture is a bit spongy - which was fine when it was warm - not as appealing cold.  I am going to try toasting a slice of leftover in the toaster oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment