Monday, September 22, 2014

Waffles!!!

I admit that these aren't the prettiest waffles I have ever made...not even close.

But.

Waffles.

I picked up a cookbook at Costco last week...and I am determined to try a bunch of the recipes.  It's call Against All Grain by Danielle Walker. I happened to have all the ingredients for her blueberry waffle recipe, so that's where I started. I haven't had anything bread-like in over a month, so I knew that these didn't have to be stupendous to be edible, but they were great.  Not quite waffle texture, and definitely different tasting (well, adding a cup of cashews is bound to make it taste nutty...), but really good.  The recipe was pretty easy - just dump everything in the blender and give it a whirl, but I did take the author's advice and processed the cashews a bit first.  I don't think my Ninja is quite as high speed as her blender.

The most difficult part of cooking these was, well, cooking these.  The recipe said to set your waffle iron on its lowest setting.  The lowest setting on mine would make a nice hand warmer, but doesn't actually cook anything.  I ended up putting mine between the highest and the medium setting...that seemed to work.  Also, she said to cook them for about 45 seconds to a minute or until the waffle iron stops steaming - it took well over a minute for my waffle iron.

Texture-wise these aren't as sturdy as waffles made with good old Krusteaz...thus the mangled specimen below:

This was the only one that I put blueberries in - I think fresh blueberries would work better than the frozen ones...but this waffle did taste amazing.

Yeah, not quite what mine looked like.
Steve and Danny both liked them - and as long as it's only the three of us, I can afford to make these occasionally.  The recipe says it makes 4-6 servings, but that's only if you count each waffle square as a serving.

2 comments: