Monday, September 29, 2014

Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes

After the semi-successful attempt at making (paleo)waffles last week, I thought I would give pancakes a try. The waffles tasted great, but the texture was a bit hard to work with in the waffle iron - so....pancakes!

I found a recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes on Against All Grain and decided to give it a try. I like using Danielle Walker's recipes - partly because my "pantry" is geared towards her style of cooking, and I don't have to go out and buy lots of bizarre different ingredients.

These were pretty easy to make, but I almost tossed the batter out because it smelled funky.  I'm glad I didn't, they ended up tasting just fine and dandy, especially the ones that I added blueberries to.
One thing I've noticed about the recipes from Danielle that require baking (like waffles, pancakes, banana bread...), it that they seem to take a lot longer for me to cook than she suggests.  I just take that into account while cooking. Her recipe says to flip them over after about 30 seconds.  I may have been using a lower heat than she did, but mine took a couple of minutes per side.

I didn't find that these pancakes tasted very much like pumpkin - I suspect the almond butter of hijacking the flavor - but they were great with the addition of blueberries.  (You can't see the blueberries on these pancakes because they are on the bottom)

The texture is not quite like regular pancakes, it's a bit more sponge-like...but I will definitely be adding these to my list of edible paleo recipes.  They get bonus points for Danny and Steve liking them, and more bonus points because Danny actually liked the ones with blueberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment