Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Bomb Chili

I'm not a big chili fan.  I like it once in a while - but it doesn't always like me (heartburn, anyone?). This chili was super tasty, and best of all, NO HEARTBURN!

The recipe is super flexible too.  I found it here.  My ingredients were quite a bit different - but that doesn't really matter.  I was able to clean out my fridge - all the little odds and ends of leftover veggies were included here. Steve loved this chili - and suprisingly, so did I. Win.

let's face it, chili doesn't photograph well.
Ingredients:

Two pounds of ground meat.  I used ground beef and ground chicken (Italian sausage)
2 cans tomato paste
1 can diced tomato (not the big can - the one that's around 15 ounces)
4 cups broth (I used chicken...because that's what I had on hand)
About 2 pounds of diced/chopped veggies.  You're aiming for about half meat, half veg.  I used carrots, celery, green pepper, onion, crushed garlic, and a sweet potato.
1 Tbsp of cocoa powder
1/4 cup Chili powder
salt/pepper/cayenne to taste (I only added a bit of salt to the ground beef as I was cooking it - no pepper or cayenne)

Instructions:
- brown ground meat, set aside.
-add all veggies to the broth and boil until they are tender.
-add ALL ingredients to the crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours or so.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment